Monday, April 17, 2006

Anesthesia


Kara made me put this picture up. This is what I have to wear for anesthesiology. I am only in this rotation for 2 weeks, but it has been pretty interesting. Today was a highlight as I saw my first open heart surgery. The patient had three vessel disease and needed a CABG (coronary artery bypass graft). It is an amazing thing to see the heart pumping 2 feet from you. During the surgery, the aorta and superior vena cava were canalized and connected to a machine that siphons the blood from the heart so that the heart can be stopped, but the rest of your body's circulation can be maintained. The machine acts like a big heart. I wonder who was the first guinea pig for these types of inventions. Toward the end of the surgery, the patient coded as her blood pressure and heart rate dropped really low and the surgeon actually was pumping her heart with his hand. I still do not want to be a surgeon, but this was pretty cool.

If you want to read about a cool company, check out xethanol.com and read the article from Fortune magazine. They have technology that makes ethanol out of trash. They also make my new favorite product xylitol that is in a new toothpaste that reduces cavities in 80% of people by changing the bacterial flora in the mouth. I am a user of the toothpaste thanks to Dr. Coss. The stock is not doing too shabby either as it jumped over 25% today (XTHL).

I just finished the biography of George Mueller. I highly recommend it. He was a man of the Lord who learned that expectations in line with God's will never disappoint. Ps. 84.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh wow. My FAVORITE people. Anasthesiologists. Such a noble profession. My a-doc for labor/c-section was Dr. Sugar. And boy does he fit his name. He made the pain go away during my HARD labor. I was a DIFFERENT woman when he gave me an intrathecal during labor. One minute I was silent, downcast, and no one was talking. The next I was smiling and laughing asking for jello and music. And he numbed me up really wellfor the c-section and stayed at my head the whole time.

And the time I had wrist surgeries? Yeah, I think I love the loopy affect a little too much. ::blushing:: It was fun to try to fight and stay awake. Then the nice old man had to put a mask over my nose and tell me to take four breaths. Mm hmm. I thought I could do it. Don't remember the second breath. :-P

As I said. Noble people in a wonderful profession.

Ben Blakey said...

Rehrer-

Good post. I have to admit you've got me thinking about who the first heart-transplant recipients were.

And ethanol out of trash? Isn't that like what Doc uses in Back to the Future?

Happy said...

You're huge!

Anonymous said...

Unlimited Earnings Potential - http://1greatfuture.com

Our company is rapidly growing and offers you an extraordinary income helping others succeed. The primary requirement is to follow up on client inquiries and point them in the right direction. It is stress free, rewarding and straightforward work.

For complete details: http://1greatfuture.com


(Please feel free to delete this post if you don't want it on your blog. Thanks for the informative blog and opportunity to post.)