Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super Bowl


Since our last blog, the Superbowl and Super Tuesday have both taken place. The Superbowl definitely beat out Super Tuesday on the excitement level. Kara was cheering for the Giants and Matt decided to cross over from the dark side to join her. We both agreed that it was the best Super Bowl that we have ever seen. This game had all of the features to make it the second most watched game of all time. We still can't believe Manning's throw to Tyree.

The Super Bowl was a great break from studying and packing. With all of the major changes approaching, we have learned that we are not as good at handling stress as we would have liked to think. The Lord uses fatigue to rein in the pride that reigns in our hearts. Praise the Lord that we do not need to walk through life on our own. I recently revisited a very familiar passage, 1 Peter 5:6-7, that says, "Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety upon Him because He cares for you."

I realized how many times I overlooked the command of humility and focused on the casting. I also forget to focus on the end of verse 7. God cares for me. Then, it really hit me that I don't even know how to cast my anxieties. The force of my cast is totally dependent on the force of my prayers. When I pray little, I worry much. Finally, God really encouraged me with the following verses that were less familiar from Ps. 94:17-19, "If the Lord had not been my help, my sould would soon have dwelt in the abode of silence. If I should say, 'My foot has slipped,' your lovingkindness, O Lord, will hold me up. When my anxious throughts multiply within me, your consololations delight my soul."

In conclusion, here is another quote I found in the front of my dad's Bible.
"Let me pray for the grace to handle trials rather than the absence of trials."


3 comments:

The Lunsfords said...

Matt, you were rooting for the PATRIOTS?!? It's a good thing I didn't know that during the game. :-|

-Jennie Kay

the Rehrers said...

On the first play of the game I announced my allegiance to the Giants. I had been undecided up till then trying to decide if I wanted to see football history.

The Lunsfords said...

Well, good, I am relieved. And you really got to see football history anyway.