Monday, September 04, 2006

Chronicles of Houston

This weekend we again struggled with our newspaper delivery on Saturday. We have had to call Houston Chronicle the last 5 times spanning 3 weekends over delinquent delivery, but on Sunday the paper finally arrived without a phone call needed!!! We went to Starbucks today (Labor Day) with our Monday paper (not sure why we got this newspaper since our Monday subscription ended last week, maybe it was a peace offering for not delivering it the previous Monday when we were still supposed to get it) to read and drink frappucinos, and a lady came up and asked for our paper that we were still reading. I told her that it was our paper from home and we were not finished yet (little did she know the trouble we have had to get it delivered). She then sat next to us and kept looking over until we finally felt uncomfortable and gave her the paper on the way out.

Family Medicine started last Monday. I am in a very busy family practice that sees about 50% HIV patients. My preceptor is involved in research in HIV and sees the second largest group of HIV patients in private practice in the US. These patients are predominately homosexual men. I think this has been a good learning experience for me especially with HIV. If we end up in Africa, HIV will be one of the major diseases that I will face. I am also getting to see my own patients and average about 18 patients a day. The doctor then comes in and talks to the patient and helps me with prescriptions, but I have a lot of autonomy. It is nice to become more familiar with the common complaints that most of us experience on an annual basis like dizziness, vomiting, coughing, etc.

Fantasy football draft was last night. I had to pick #11 overall. I am playing with 11 of my classmates. Last year I took 3rd place but would be fortunate to repeat that again.

Tomorrow the neurosurgery is schedules for our friend in Amarillo. The family has been at peace and been a great testimony for the Lord. Keep her in your prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that houston woman sounded quite rude! Maybe she was like that guy from the show "Early Edition" and her prophetic magical newspaper had accidently been delivered to you, and she had been hunting for it all day and then stumbled across it when she saw you reading it at the coffee shop... or maybe she was just rude.

Christa Blakey said...

Hi Rehrer's, just wanted to let you know I've changed our blog from blogger to blakeyblog.com. Talk to you soon!