Monday, June 19, 2006

650 miles

First things first, Congratulations to my friend Billy Blakey who was engaged June 10!!!! Every weekend another friend gets engaged. I think it is something in the CA water.

Soooo, we have been in San Antonio the past few days for relaxation and dental work (these two things not being completely synonymous). Since our last post, I completed my psychiatry rotation with exams. The last 2 months gave me a greater exposure to the people who have hit rock bottom. Without hope (Christ), I have witnessed how many people turn to alcohol, drugs, and sometimes suicide as the answer to relieve the emptiness. One girl I saw in the ER following a suicide attempt told me the sad life events that led up to her taking pills to end her life. She had lost her mom to sudden cancer and her boyfriend had just broken up with her. It struck me that without the hope of Christ, I could have easily been on the other side of the table following last summer's events. Without the strength of my Savior holding me up every step of the way, my sorrows would have been to much to bear on my own. "Blesses be the Lord who DAILY bears our burden." Ps 68:19

In SA, we had a great time as usual. Here are a couple of pictures of the Fiesta Texas fireworks we enjoyed from the La Cantera shopping mall parking lot. While in SA, we watched the NBA finals Game 5. I was happy with the outcome. Dwayne Wade has become my favorite player who does not wear a SA Spurs uniform. Amazing skills. I was disappointed with the comments by coach Avery Johnson following the game. I think the Cuban cigar's (Mark) stench is stocking on Avery.




This is a shell given to us by Jo. Jo is a neighbor of the Harrells who is an American citizen but who immigrated to the US 30 years ago. She has an amazing story and we enjoyed going over to her house and talking to her for over an hour on Sunday night. One part of her story included ownership of a shell shop while she lived on the Marshall Islands. She gave us one of the shells from her collection. We are going to place it among our growing shell collection in our coffee table.



Ryan Shull, it is great to hear from you and I am planning on writing you an email tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt and Kara,
I completely agree with the comment that Avery J made. I was competely shocked. The shell is beautiful and it will go perfectly in your table. I love that table!!! I am sorry that I missed you guys during this visit. I was sad. Sunday my dad met my boyfriend for the first time. So it was a HUGE day. I will let you guys know more about that. Love you guys! ~Erika