Thursday, August 16, 2007

Houston, It's Not Worth It!

There's a website that was set up to encourage people to move to Houston. It's called Houstonit'sworthit. com. As long as there are tropical storms and 7 inches of rain falling in 5 hours, I would have to disagree with that website! In fact, I'm contemplating starting my own website to warn people what they might be in for if they move here! The car above is what I am driving right now, it is not what I own. The car I own was flooded today. Yes, the car we just bought in June. Needless to say, the Lord was good to me today and I am blessed (I will get to that in a minute)!

I parked my car this morning in the same place I always park it (in a neighborhood about a mile from where I work). When I parked it, it wasn't raining and the weather people had been acting like we weren't going to get that much of Tropical Storm Erin. Well, they were wrong! 7 inches of rain and one work day later, I found several inches of rain in my car. My mom is in town keeping me company so after I finished crying (I did laugh eventually!), we started bailing water out of the car. We used ziploc bags and a disposable cup (all we had with us) I had to start laughing as I was bailing my car with a paper cup and a ziploc bag!

We checked under the hood and made sure it was not flooded and checked to make sure there wasn't water mixed with the oil and then started up the car. It ran fine, but I noticed the engine light was on (never a good sign!), so rather than drive home, we drove to the dealer (as my user manual suggested). After learning my car was going to be spending some time there, I called my insurance company (the little Gecko -- they are SO nice) and Enterprise picked me up. We won't know how bad it is for a few days, but we were told it might run between$2500-$3500 to fix -- thankfully our insurance deductable is much lower than that! Please pray that Hurricane Dean does not visit me also. I would prefer not to have to sort through my belongings and pack up what I can fit in my rental car and leave town! Just a warning to the Harrell hotel, we could be visiting you if Dean visits us!:)

Despite all of this, I really am blessed for so many reasons tonight, so I thought I would end with those:

1) I have insurance and it covers flooding and a rental car (really didn't know if it would!!)

2) Matt was very sweet and understanding about everything!
3) My mom is here, so I wasn't all alone!

4) It was only inches of water inside my car, not feet covering the whole thing and the water outside had receded by the time I got to the car.

5) My home is not flooded!

6) There wasn't anything of much value in the car that got ruined (CD's can dry).

7) My plants got a good watering.

(My CD's are drying!:))

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Kara! Pretty crazy, but I'm so glad that all worked out the way it did. :)

Unknown said...

By the way, in case you can't tell, that previous post was Sarah DeWolfe. I thought you might know more than one Sarah... :)

Drollingers said...

What a crazy storm!! I'm glad your mom was there to help. Tell her hi and enjoy your time together.

Mike, Sharon, and Caleb Koerber said...

I would just like to agree with you about Houston...I never liked it! This is Sharon Smith (now Koerber) from Master's...maybe you remeber me:) I just wanted to write and say hello and invite you to my blog too. It is www.mskoerber.blogspot.com. Hope you are having a nice Monday!
Sharon