First, I will give a prize to whoever can find Destin, FL on this map. It turned out a little blurry. Kara and I have planned our vacation in October to Destin. It has amazing beaches and pretty green/blue water despite being along the Gulf of Mexico. The TX Gulf water is gross. In fact, after it rains they have to place beach warning signs about high bacteria content (due to fecal matter from local farms that wash into the gulf). One of my friends in San Antonio described the TX gulf as a place where the water is darker than the women.I have now completed my first week of neonatology.
Tip#1 do not give water to babies under 1 year old as it replaces the calories they get from milk and also can lead to low sodium and seizures.
Tip#2: babies will inevitably spit up and this is not a cause for alarm most of the time.
Tip#3: back to sleep, place your baby on its back or side when it is sleeping until they can roll themselves over (4 mos old), the back to sleep program has been linked to a 40% decrease in sudden infant death syndrome (#1 killer of kids 1month - 1yo old).
The smallest baby I have seen in the NICU weighs 500 grams (1.1 pounds). My attending says it will be able to survive. I also saw a baby with gastroschisis. Gastroschisis is when the baby is born with the intestines and possibly other internal organs outside the body. The bowels are placed in a bag that is attached overhead to a pole, and every day the bag is twisted increasing the pressure of the bags contents and slowly pushing the bowel back inside the abdominal cavity. Amazing stuff.
Everyone have a great week.
6 comments:
Matt, I agree with you that there are no real beaches in Texas. And I also agree that spit up is not so bad. Thanks and God bless!
We gave water to all three of our babies way under one year old. Does that explain anything?
I like hearing you talk about all this baby stuff...i hoping to hear of a new rehrer one day.... ;)
I agree with Alishka, that would be cool. Ya Destin was not really all that hard to find on that map. It's too bad that it's not on the atlantic side of florida, maybe the coast on that side is not as stagnant and polluted.
Hey Rehrer,
Hope you guys are doing well! Lunsdaddy finally is getting married.
Caleb and Andrea Kolstad
We haven't given Judah water yet, and were trying to swear off a paci. We're paci people now. :-) Some kids just wanna suck something!
And you say roll over at 4 months. Judah can sit up...but he can't roll over. Explain this to us. ;-)
Doesn't it just make you want one of your own? Nod-nod-wink-wink
LUNSFORD! CoNgRaTs!
Post a Comment