I wanted to quickly post the story of the tragedy that occurred today in Oakland. 5 Oakland police officers were shot and 3 are dead with 1 in critical condition and 1 stable. These officers were all brought to Highland Hospital where I work. I am currently working on the trauma team. Here is the story on cnn.com that made national news.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/21/california.officers/index.html
It is sad to me that 20 Oakland citizens taunted the police at the scene. There is a lot of tension in the community from a recent shooting of an unarmed African American man. The violence is so senseless but is not new. Since Cain and Abel, our world has been torn apart by such crimes.
Keep these families in your prayers. I will be helping to take care of the fourth police officer who is in critical condition. Thanks for continuing to read despite the paucity of posts.
1 comment:
Hey Matt-
I just saw this post...(sam here).
I have a friend on OPD so the story is close to home. It's good to know that you were there in some ways, offering light in an obviously dark place.
I heard that they took the 4th officer off life support which must've added to the intensity. But, thanx for all that you did, whatever you did.
My friend said that he's been to 12 services associated with these 4 guys and he's drained, amongst other feelings. I imagine the city is ebbing and flowing with a lot of emotion and it's still tender and potentially explosive. I'll pray for you guys...I didn't realize you were at Highlands.
Post a Comment