Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Summer in October


Since our last blog, Kara and I have discovered gellato. Gellato is an amazing Itallian ice cream that is very soft and comes in a wide variety of flavors. If you have not yet tried it, find a place near you.

Since our last blog, Kara also had all four of her wisdom teeth extracted. The oral surgeon was very nice and let me watch the whole procedure that lasted about 30 minutes. After we received the bill, I started wondering about a career change. Hahaha. Kara has since recovered on a four day diet of pudding, jello, chocolate milk, rice, soup, and milkshakes and is doing fine now.

Here she is in all her poofiness

I am currently on my sub-internship in internal medicine. A sub-I has increased responsibilities and acts like an intern (first year resident). I carry my own patients and write orders (that still have to be co-signed). Everyone on my team is very nice, and we are having a good month. Sadly, one of my patients passed away last night after only being admitted an hour beforehand. He had end stage squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue that had spread to his lungs. His family was present. It was the first time I helped pronounce somebody dead. Quite an experience.

On a lighter note, the baseball playoffs start tonight. I am not a huge baseball fan but I usually pick up watching when it reaches the playoffs. Here are the teams I like in order of preference.

Cubs> Phillies, Rockies> Angels > D-backs > Red Sox, Indians >>>> Yankees

I am more excited about the ongoing football season.

One of our favorite football games was last Saturday night, USC vs. UW. We know that UW isn't going to win the championship but we're excited they are at least competitive again. It was a fun game.

Why is South Florida ranked #6? Does anyone think about actual skill over record? I would venture that at least 7 teams from the PAC-10 or SEC could beat this team.

The Packers are having an amazing season. Who would have guessed they would be 4-0 along with Detroit at 3-1. I still think it will come down to New England or Indianapolis, but I give Dallas an outside chance.

I stumbled onto this the other day. This is a great compilation of DA Carson stuff by a Master's college grad and friend, PJ Tibayan. Check it out.

http://pjtibayan.wordpress.com/2006/10/17/d-a-carson-audio-sermonslectures/

Have a great week!!!

3 comments:

Happy said...

California Golden Bears baby!

Go Raiders!

Flower said...

Only you could move from pronouncing someone dead to the baseball playoffs without being disrespectful or morbid...wow. You gotta admit, however, that South Florida has played two great teams and won. They beat Auburn, who beat Florida, and they obviously beat West Virginia, who was ranked #5. Plus...they beat Elon, one of the most underrated teams in the country...I'm slightly kidding, although Elon did beat Appalachian State. I still haven't had Gelata, although I keep hearing it is Mmm-mazing. And I can't believe that you like listening to D.A. Carson. You should try listening to something a littler bit deeper, he's so shallow...all he does is tell stories and funny jokes.

Dawn said...

Good sign of a good doctor -- being able to go from pronouncing death to sports. And I think Kara still looks cute in all her puffiness. :-) That's cool you got to watch your wife have surgery. I STILL wish I could fully understand my Matt's perspective on seeing me have two c-sections!

Thanks for blogging about your medical stuff...it's so fun to track!