Saturday, March 25, 2006

We're Back!

Hey everyone!! We are back to the blogging. I just completed 12 weeks of Internal Medicine. I have many stories but HIPAA will not permit me to share info over the Internet. Haha. Kara and I thought we would give you an update of our lives over the past few months.

So, here is a brief overview of a typical day in the life of Matt on the hospital wards. I roll in around 7:30 (can vary from 6:30-8). I go and see the patients that I am following and make sure no acute events have occurred over night. I do a brief physical exam and then record this information in an inpatient note for their record. I then discuss a brief plan for the day with the intern and resident. The attending (the big boss) shows up around 9:30 and we round with him. We tell him the updates and he might stop in to see a few patients. The rest of the day is spent following up on each patient by making sure all their tests get done, consults called, labs ordered, meds changed, etc. I have a noon conference for 1-2 hrs and then get to go home typically around 5-6 PM. I then read on my patients, study different material for 2-3 hrs, hang out with Kara and then go to bed. I learned a ton. By the end, it was very exciting as I was able to see a patient in the ER, develop a plan, and carry it out with very little help or direction. It is nice to feel like I am finally able to do something and help people out.

After reading the Blakey blogs, here is my 2 cents on the NCAA brackets. My championship pick is Villanova. Kara and I have watched the ends of quite a few games. Kara took the UW loss particularly hard. How many Huskies (the actual canine breed) reside in CT? None as far as I know, and I have an aunt that lives there. If A&M is going to gripe about the 12th man idea being stolen by the Seahawks, how about naming your team after an animal that is absent from your state (this point was made by Kara following the OT loss)?

We bought a new digital camera and now can attach relevant and exciting shots from our lives on the blog!! It is a Nikon Coolpix 7600, and we love it.

We planted flowers today. The main attractions are a new rose bush and hibiscus (they haven't really bloomed yet, so here are pics of the other flowers). Pray that everything lives. Anyone who knows my success with beta fish and cacti know that the Rehrer garden could be short-lived.

Kara is starting her part time job this Monday!!! What a blessing. She only has to work 6 hours a day and it is in the same place, Baylor neuro dept. The Lord has been gracious.

We are travelling to Amarillo and will be there from Wed-Sun. We need to get a lot done with lots of organization and decisions. Also, a dedication of the gymatorium at the Christian school my dad worked at will take place on Sunday. The building will be named the Rehrer gym. It is a center for fine arts for the school (singing, band, etc). Also, please be in prayer that the lawyers will continue to be faithful to work on our papers so that I can become executor of the estate. It would be nice to know a timeframe of when we would be able to sell the house. There has been some dragging of feet, but the Lord is in control of the whole situation.

Thanks for reading. We will be blogging more frequently now that we have a camera.

2 comments:

Ben Blakey said...

Rehrer-

Good to see you back in the blogosphere. Sorry, your bracket got busted up, so did mine. i think you have a good point about the Huskies; that's probably why UConn lost to George Mason...

Christa Blakey said...

Hi Rehrers! Glad to see you are back to blogging:). Bobby and I loved the pictures and are looking forward to more posts!